When it’s humid, hair has a mind of its own. And usually, there isn’t much we can do about it, other than to give in and throw it up into a ponytail. (Time for the AHA! Moment…) I have an easy way to style your that works WITH the humidity. This works especially well with curly/wavy hair, but is also great for hard to curl hair. We are going to scrunch it and just let it air dry 🙂 Here’s step by step how I do it:
1. When you are in the shower, comb through your hair with a wide tooth comb after you put conditioner in it and again right before you get out of the shower.
2. When you get out of the shower, put your hair up into a towel. Don’t comb through it again, this will pull out the waves! Depending on the thickness of your hair, leave it wrapped up in the towel for 5-10 minutes. (I usually brush my teeth and get dressed while I’m waiting.)
3. After I take my hair out of the towel I massage Satinique Volumizing Mousse into the roots and spray Satinique Spray Gel into my hair. Scrunch your hair while you spray. (Tip: Even if you have hard-to-curl hair, be careful that you don’t use too much product- it will weigh down your hair and make it look crunchy and stiff.)
4. I then use my towel to scrunch my hair. This prevent s frizzines from using your hands, and also helps to dry your hair while you scrunch!
5. After you’ve scrunched for about 2-5 minutes, smoosh your hair up into a messy bun at the top of your head and secure with a hair tie. Leave it up in a bun until your hair is about 75% dry or for however long you have. (Tip: Make sure you take it out BEFORE it dries or it will get kinks in it and it will probably be frizzy.)
6. Gently take your hair out of the messy bun and scrunch for about a minute. Feel free to hairspray here if your hair is hard to curl. Then just let it air dry the rest of the way!
So there ya have it! This will create nice, beachy, textured waves. If your hair doesn’t seem to scrunch as much as you would like, don’t worry- its something that you can train your hair to do… the more you wear your hair like this, the more wavy it will get when you scrunch it. I have noticed, that if I straighten my hair a lot, it takes a few times of scrunching for it to get back to how I like it. Also, if you don’t like the outcome, your hair will be the perfect texture for a cute, messy side braid! 🙂
What are some of your favorite summer hair products and styles?